The Complete Guide: How to manage App Store subscriptions
Having the power of a computer in our pocket is something quite impressive, but also scary at the same time. Not only can we access the infinity of the web in the palm of our hand, but we can also spend money while shopping for a new item or service. That said, you have to be careful because sometimes these applications will charge you a monthly fee that you completely forgot about. That is why it is important to know how to manage your subscriptions on your Apple device.
What’s the difference between iTunes Store and App Store?
First and foremost, it is important to know that there are 2 different stores in which you can have subscriptions: the iTunes Store and the App Store. What’s the difference you may ask? On iTunes, everything is mainly related to media content, such as music, podcasts, movies, and TV series. Therefore, you could have your Netflix monthly plan billed through iTunes for example.
On the other hand, the App Store, like its name indicates, is entirely about applications. With over 4 million apps on the Apple App Store, it is easy to lose track of our subscriptions once we have a couple of them going at the same time. Below we are going to walk you through the steps on how to manage and cancel your apps’ subscriptions on both your Mac and iOS devices.
How to manage app subscriptions on your iOS devices?
On top of the subscriptions you could have with the Apple apps such as Apple TV, Apple News, and Apple Fitness, you could have a few other subscriptions you want to cancel soon or later. Let’s take a look at how we can manage those in no time:
- Begin by opening your Settings app (on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod)
- Tap your name and then your subscriptions
- Normally, all of your subscriptions should appear here, tap the one you want to verify
- If you want to cancel your subscription to an application, simply tap Cancel
Please take note that if you don’t see the Cancel button, it means that your subscription has already been canceled and that it won’t be renewed.
Can I cancel a subscription on my Apple Watch?
Yes, it is possible to cancel a subscription directly on your Apple Watch. In order to do so, just follow the steps below:
- Open the App Store on your Apple Watch
- Scroll down to Account and select it
- Tap Subscriptions and select the one you want to cancel
- Finally, tap the Cancel button
How to manage app subscriptions on your Mac?
If you want to deal with your subscription plans directly on your Mac, here are the steps to follow:
- Once your computer is turned on, click on the App Store app
- Then, click on the sign-in button or your name that you can find at the bottom of the sidebar
- Click on the View Information button at the top, you might have to sign in
- Thereafter, scroll down to Subscriptions and click Manage
- From there, you should be able to see all your subscriptions, click the Edit button on the one you want to manage
- If you want to cancel, just click the Cancel button
The App Store subscription I want to cancel is not there, what to do?
As we previously mentioned, there is a possibility that your subscription was already canceled. However, there is also another reason that could be behind this issue. If you don’t see your subscriptions and that you are still getting billed, thoroughly verify that you are using the right Apple ID account.
For example, perhaps you or your spouse have another account, and it’s that one that was used during the purchase of the monthly or yearly plan. Finally, make sure that your subscription is not billed through another platform like iTunes for example.
How to manage my iCloud storage subscription?
Despite being an application of its own, iCloud is very much its own entity in Apple’s ecosystem. Therefore, if you want to change or cancel your iCloud plan, follow the steps below (for mobile devices):
- Open your Settings app
- Go to your Apple ID
- Tap on the iCloud menu under your Subscriptions
- From there, you will see your iCloud information, tap Manage Storage and then Storage Plan
- You will now have access to all the available subscription plans, choose the one you want
- You can also choose the Downgrade Options at the bottom in case you want to diminish the amount of data you can store in your iCloud
- Enter your password to sign in with your Apple ID
- To finish, choose New Storage Plan and Done
And that is all for today! With this guide, the Apple App Store and its subscriptions have no secrets anymore, so enjoy your apps without any stress.