Find Programs, Files and Text in Windows
by John Anthony
Windows provides a way to search for programs, files, and text in files across all operating systems.
For Windows 10
For Windows 7
- Right click the Start Button at the left end of the Taskbar, then click Search in the list that opens.
- Enter the text of what you are looking into the Search field.
- As you type various matches are shown based on the text currently entered.
- Just above the text entry line you can choose to search the Internet (Web) or your computer (My Stuff).
Note: Matching entries found in the Windows Store will also appear above the text entry box as well.
For Windows XP
- Click Start Button at the left end of the Taskbar.
- Enter the text you are searching for in Search Programs and Files field.
- Programs, files and text within files that match the characters entered will appear. IF more characters are entered the results field will change to reflect the string of entered characters up to that point.
- Click the Start Button at the left end of the Taskbar, and then click Search in the list that appears.
e ‘Windows Search’ window opens. On the left side of the window, scroll to the bottom and click the Search Companion.
- The left side window will then show different areas of the PC you can search which narrows down the search.
- When you click one of the areas to search, one or two search fields open, depending on the area chosen.
- Enter what you are looking for and then click Search.
Computer Help A to Z
88 Windmere Drive
Angier, NC 27501